You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu
Friday, October 14, 2011
Sick, Sick, Sick.....
So while I was at work on Wednesday, Sept 7, 2011 I got a call from the WSU Childcare Center. It was Jaxon's teacher, Lisa, calling to tell me that Jaxon had thrown up 5, yes 5 times in the last hour and that he had a fever and of course needed to be picked up. Of course I was worried sick so I called Paul and he went to pick Jaxon up and bring him home. Thankfully, it just so happened that Jaxon already had a Dr's appointment that night because he also had a rash. Well....when I got home from work we packed him up and ran for the Dr's office...towels, wipes and extra clothes in hand because by this point Jaxon was still throwing up. Let me tell ya.....I have never seen or heard anything so awful as my baby boy throwing up and being in pain. It seriously felt like my heart was breaking and I couldn't breathe. I wanted nothing more than to take his sickness away. I would have switched places with Jaxon in a second. It took quite a while for the Dr. to come in and while we waited all we could do is try to comfort Jaxon as much as possible. I think he threw up at least 3 times while we were waiting. We also had him weighed before the Dr came in and Jaxon had already lost half a pound. :( My poor sweet baby boy was so very sick. Well, the Dr. finally came in, looked Jaxon over and of course told us he had a stomach bug, was dehydrated and that the rash he had was eczema. We were instructed to give Jaxon 5ml of Pedialyte every 5 minutes as long as he was awake. If he wasn't able to keep the pedialyte down we were to go to the emergency room and get Jaxon hooked up to an IV for fluids. At this point I was a complete WRECK!!! Had to call my co worker to tell her what was going on and that I may not be in the next day and I could hardly keep it together. Sooooo.....lots of Pedialyte in hand we went home and started the LONG journey of nursing our little boy back to health. Thank goodness he liked the pedialyte and was able to keep it down!! PRAISE THE LORD! I just felt bad that I couldn't give him more pedialyte at one time because by this point the poor little guy was VERY hungry. It was a long night but we made it through with a little sleep and took Jaxon back to the Dr. the next evening for a weight check. By now it was Thursday, Sept 8 and Jaxon was still throwing up a couple times a day. The weight check was very disappointing and concerning. Jaxon had gone down in weight another half a pound, making his weight loss an entire pound. Thursday morning I ended up going to work and Paul stayed home with Jaxon. Well.....after being at work for about an hour I had to come home because I had caught the bug! UGH! Mommy down!! thankfully by Thursday afternoon Jaxon was seeming to be a tad bit better because I was doing terrible. Paul had a lab that he absolutely could not skip so he left around 1 in the afternoon. I still remember throwing up in a bowl as he walked out the door and I was crying because I had no idea how I was going to take care of Jaxon. Another PRAISE THE LORD moment because Jaxon slept the entire 4.5 hours Paul was gone!! :) Friday the 9th - I took Jaxon back to the Dr because he started throwing up again and we needed to do another weight check. Poor baby had lost more weight. Paul got home from school and caught the bug that night....GREAT....Baby, Mommy AND Daddy down. What a horrible weekend we had. It was crazy hot...in the 90's...and we all felt gross. Ok let's end the story in a quick way....Paul and I rebounded pretty quickly, but Jaxon took almost a week and a half to be back to his normal self. He lost a total of 1.5 pounds and narrowly escaped the hospital twice. Wow, what a first sickness for Jaxon and for me as a new mommy. At least I know we can make it through and overcome!! We're all doing GREAT now. Dear Stomach Bug - please do not visit us anytime soon. We've seen enough of you!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment